CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Markyisms vs. Hunterisms


Since I don't have any recent photos loaded on the computer, but I know the month is ticking away and I haven't posted.... How 'bout something not so recent...


Markyisms...

When Marky was a toddler, still getting the grasp of the English language, she would create her own wonderful words... I loved how she put her own adorable twist on an ordinary word. 'Rubberband' became 'bumbleband'... 'Animal' bacame 'aminal'... Her Radioflyer was her 'Red, red ragon'... To go along with 'nobody', 'anybody', and 'somebody', Marky created the word 'whobody', as in "Momma, whobody gave me that toy?" or if I was on the phone, "Momma, whobody are you talking to?" (I'll have to admit, to this day I keep hoping she will slip and say 'whobody' again... Why did she ever have to drop the 'body' and start saying 'who' like the rest of us?... I'm sure her peers would eventually stop giggling when she asked "Whobody's taking you to prom?").


Hunterisms...

When Hunter started to speak, he enunciated nearly every word with perfection. I can still remember when he woke from a nap at the ripe old age of 21 months and commanded, in a very loud, deep, caveman like voice, "Hunter go see cheetah and messy elephant at zoo again!" Sure, there were grammatical errors, but hey, a 10 word sentance, flawless pronounciation, months before his 2nd birthday. I was impressed. He didn't even falter with larger, polysylabic words like 'cinnamon', 'aluminum', and 'guacamole'... but now and then, he has used a perfectly pronounced word, in a not so perfect way...


First grade.... Finally in school full-day, Hunter was so excited to be eating lunch in the cafeteria. He had been asking to try the school lunch, but I insisted on packing his Spiderman lunch box everyday. One day, he decided to tell the secretary that I had forgotten to pack his lunch and asked her if he could borrow money to buy a school lunch. When he came home from school I removed his untouched lunchbox from his backpack and worried that he had gone all day without eating. He said, "Don't worry Momma. I told Mrs. Bridges you didn't send a lunch so she gave me the money to order hot lunch". I was mortified that someone in the office would think I would send my son to school without lunch, so went to the office the next morning to repay Mrs. Bridges. She said, laughing between sentences, "Keep the two dollars, it was worth every penny. Hunter bought the chicken patty, and after two bites, returned the tray to me and said 'I just can't eat this. It's making me obnoxious' ". Of course, he meant nauseous... but Hunter, class clown, had been racking up frequent flier miles to the Principal's office, so his mistake was both funny and fitting.


More recently, Hunter was telling a tall-tale, going into elaborate, but totally unbelievable, detail. Marky, who was growing weary of his fabrication, cuts him off and says "Hunter, there's no way that happened. You're lying!". Hunter defends himself, "Marky, I'm not lying, I was just exasperating". Marky rolls her eyes and sighs "You've got that right".


0 comments: